Autor Thema: Using a Sony Handycam as a webcam via Sundtek MediaTV Pro III in Linux  (Gelesen 9127 mal)

MarcelloInvierno

• Profil anzeigen
Using a Sony Handycam as a webcam via Sundtek MediaTV Pro III in Linux
« am: April 02, 2014, 07:06:46 Nachmittag »
Hello guys,

I'd like to use a Sony Handycam HDR-CX410VE as a webcam in Ubuntu 12.04.
My aim is to capture the camera output live using Galicaster software.
The camcorder doesn't support USB streaming.

I connected the Camera to my Laptop using an microUSB-to-RCA-cable and the MediaTV Pro III stick (gonna upload a picture of my construction) and installed the latest driver for Linux.
Hello guys,

I'd like to use a Sony Handycam HDR-CX410VE as a webcam in Ubuntu 12.04.
My aim is to capture the camera output live using Galicaster software.
The camcorder doesn't support USB streaming.

I connected the Camera to my Laptop using an microUSB-to-RCA-cable and the MediaTV Pro III stick (gonna upload a picture of my construction) and installed the latest driver for Linux.

My system recognized the stick, but to access to the camcorder was possible.
I checked it using mplayer as said in the instruction, but the result was just a green screen and high-pitched sound.
Using VLC was not possible either. Selecting /dev/video1 (which was da Sundtek stick) as my video source haven't had any effect for streaming.

I used qv4l2 to check /dev/video1, but no useful information was given. As I tried to test the device I simply got a window with black screen and a 'No frame'-note.

I've tried older drivers, too, but there was no other result, except that qv4l2 responded 'Resource not availble' instead of showing a black frame.

Do you think capturing frames is possible this way? And if so, how can I do that?
It would be great if you can help, I'm struggling for days now xD

Marcel from Leipzig
My system recognized the stick, but to access to the camcorder was possible.
I checked it using mplayer as said in the instruction, but the result was just a green screen and high-pitched sound.
Using VLC was not possible either. Selecting /dev/video1 (which was da Sundtek stick) as my video source haven't had any effect for streaming.

I used qv4l2 to check /dev/video1, but no useful information was given. As I tried to test the device I simply got a window with black screen and a 'No frame'-note.

I've tried older drivers, too, but there was no other result, except that qv4l2 responded 'Resource not availble' instead of showing a black frame.

Do you think capturing frames is possible this way? And if so, how can I do that?
It would be great if you can help, I'm struggling for days now xD

Marcel from Leipzig

P.S.: Can't upload the picture :C
I tried to upload one from /user/home/Bilder, which is less then 128 kB, but I always get a message which says that it has no access to the UploadFile.

Sundtek

• Administrator
    • Profil anzeigen
Re:Using a Sony Handycam as a webcam via Sundtek MediaTV Pro III in Linux
« Antwort #1 am: April 02, 2014, 08:48:08 Nachmittag »
Did you try to use tvtime, change the input with the i key? Upload the image to eg. http://image-upload.de/

By the way there's also a german section in this forum (we are from Berlin).
Failure is a good thing! I'll fix it

MarcelloInvierno

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #2 am: April 03, 2014, 06:47:01 Nachmittag »
Just downloaded tvtime, I used
tvtime -d /dev/video1 -i 0but it says "No signal", same with input parameters 1, 2 and 3 (is 3 even necessary?).

I uploaded the picture to image-upload, here it is:
http://image-upload.de/image/OhEE7E/4ff135d5fa.jpg

I posted my question in the english section so that (in case we solve the problem) non-germans can see the solution, too :)

Sundtek

• Administrator
    • Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #3 am: April 03, 2014, 06:50:52 Nachmittag »
Composite should be 1 I think, just push "i" in tvtime.

Be sure your camera is set to the same videostandard as tvtime (PAL-BG or NTSC depending on your camera setting).

MarcelloInvierno

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #4 am: April 13, 2014, 04:11:43 Nachmittag »
Sorry for not responding that long.
I had to give away the camcorder to my colleagues because they need them for other purposes.
Whenever I have it again, I'll go on trying. Using tvtime with i-argument didn't work  unfortunately.
Up to this point thanks for your help!

Sundtek

• Administrator
    • Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #5 am: April 13, 2014, 06:03:54 Nachmittag »
Maybe you can try connecting a DVD Player to it? Cam and DVD Player should speak the same protocol language so you should be able to use both.